Launching Your Career
Answers to your FAQ’s about the business of acting!
This workshop is for actors beginning their professional careers. In this two-hour workshop, Rachel Kennedy and a special guest actor will answer the most frequently asked questions about the business of acting.
Find out about:
- The realities of showbiz—by the numbers
- Becoming an actor—Maintaining & improving your acting skills; Training vs. Coaching
- Auditions and Casting—Photos & résumés; Audition pieces; Agents & Casting Directors
- Affiliations and Resources—Theatre & Film: Equity, ACTRA & Non-Union; Directories, Publications, Online sources
- Managing your career—Planning, expenses & taxes
"It was a great workshop. Rachel's humour and enthusiasm and knowledge and experience was wonderful." - Participant
Meet the Instructor...
Rachel Kennedy, Theatre Ontario Professional Theatre and Education Manager
Rachel Kennedy is a recent graduate of York University's theatre program, where she developed a passion for arts administration. Since graduating she has produced, directed, and stage managed for various theatre companies in Toronto while working as the Outreach and Development Coordinator for Playwrights Guild of Canada. Rachel is looks forward to fostering opportunities for professional development to both established and emerging artists across the province.
Guest Instructor -Andre Newell
Andre Newell is a Writer, Director, Producer at Dream Scenes, Principal Agent at Carrier Talent Toronto and the Executive Producer of Canada’s largest acting showcase, Monologue Slam Canada.
Now in its 7th year, Monologue Slam has become the premiere monthly networking event for Toronto's Film, Television and Theatre Industry. The event has attracted the industries most influential casting directors, producers, and directors, while showcasing over 500 actors. In 2017 the event launched in Vancouver and continues to expand.
Since January 2015, Andre has written, directed, produced, shot and edited over 50 film projects. His innovate and ground-breaking approach to indie film making has made him the most sought after film makers in Toronto. The Aspire Network in the US recently picked up his short film “War on Love” and The Monologue Slam series is currently playing on Bell Fibe TV.
$35 plus HST regular price
FREE! for Theatre Ontario individual and organization* members (with a $5.00 materials fee)
*Theatre Ontario Organization Members may send 1 delegate at the member price.
Members sign-in to access member pricing.
Confirmation and receipt will be sent by email.
Not appropriate for child actors. No latecomers please.
For more information, please contact the Community Outreach and Training Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416.408.4556 x10
Refund & Cancellation Policy
- If we receive your cancellation up to 5 business days before your workshop, you will receive a full refund less 10% administrative charges.
- If we receive your cancellation 5-1 days before your workshop, you’ll receive a 50% refund.
- If we receive your cancellation on the day of your workshop or you do not show up for your workshop, no refund will be issued.
- If Theatre Ontario cancels a workshop you will be refunded in full.