Launching Your Career
Answers to your FAQ’s about the business of acting!
This workshop is for actors beginning their professional careers. In this two-hour workshop, Rachel Kennedy and a special guest actor will answer the most frequently asked questions about the business of acting.
Find out about:
- The realities of showbiz—by the numbers
- Becoming an actor—Maintaining & improving your acting skills; Training vs. Coaching
- Auditions and Casting—Photos & résumés; Audition pieces; Agents & Casting Directors
- Affiliations and Resources—Theatre & Film: Equity, ACTRA & Non-Union; Directories, Publications, Online sources
- Managing your career—Planning, expenses & taxes
"It was a great workshop. Rachel's humour and enthusiasm and knowledge and experience was wonderful." - Participant
Meet the Instructor...
Rachel Kennedy, Theatre Ontario Professional Theatre and Education Manager
Rachel Kennedy is a recent graduate of York University's theatre program, where she developed a passion for arts administration. Since graduating she has produced, directed, and stage managed for various theatre companies in Toronto while working as the Outreach and Development Coordinator for Playwrights Guild of Canada. Rachel is looks forward to fostering opportunities for professional development to both established and emerging artists across the province.
Guest Instructor - Sophia Fabiilli
Sophia Fabiilli is an Toronto-based actor, writer, and producer. Sophia has also performed in theatres across the province, including the Sudbury Theatre Centre, Theatre Aquarius, Lighthouse Festival Theatre, Theatre Kingston, Upper Canada Playhouse, Litmus Theatre, The Howland Company, Shakespeare Bash'd, among others. She wrote, produced, and starred in her first play The Philanderess which premiered at the 2015 Toronto Fringe Festival and was remounted at The Second City Main Stage that fall (NNNNN's and Outstanding New Play, Production, Ensemble, and Direction from NOW Magazine, Patron's Pick, and The Second City Award for Best New Comedy.) Sophia was recently Gregory Prest's assistant director on The Heidi Chronicles at Soulpepper, co-created a new web series called Overachieving Underdogs, and just closed her second play, Liars at a Funeral at St. Vladimir Theatre .
$35 plus HST regular price
FREE! for Theatre Ontario individual and organization* members (with a $5.00 materials fee)
*Theatre Ontario Organization Members may send 1 delegate at the member price.
Members sign-in to access member pricing.
Confirmation and receipt will be sent by email.
Not appropriate for child actors. No latecomers please.
For more information, please contact the Community Outreach and Training Coordinator, at email@example.com or 416.408.4556 x10
Refund & Cancellation Policy
- If we receive your cancellation up to 5 business days before your workshop, you will receive a full refund less 10% administrative charges.
- If we receive your cancellation 5-1 days before your workshop, you’ll receive a 50% refund.
- If we receive your cancellation on the day of your workshop or you do not show up for your workshop, no refund will be issued.
- If Theatre Ontario cancels a workshop you will be refunded in full.