Writing Theatre Reviews for Online Publication
Get your theatre reviews published online!
Learn the skills necessary to be a successful and sought after reviewer, critic, blogger and writer of theatre.
Traditional theatre coverage through the print and broadcast media is shrinking, yet the creation of theatre productions is expanding. Reliable critical voices are needed more than ever. This workshop will provide insights on why theatre reviews matter, and provide guidelines on what to look for in order to assess a theatrical event, and then write about it clearly, informatively, effectively and with confidence.
The workshop will help you discover:
- What’s the difference between a theatre reviewer and a theatre critic?
- Is there a standard structure for an effective review?
- What do I need to know before I write a review?
- What do the various creative people in a production do?
- How can I improve my reviewing skills on the job?
- How much or little of the story to divulge to tantalize the reader to finish the review and then possibly buy a ticket to the play etc.
- The dos and don’ts of a review.
Meet the Instructor
Lynn Slotkin has an Honours BA in Fine Arts from York University, Specializing in Drama Studies, History, Theory and Criticism. Her reviews and articles have been published in The Globe and Mail, The Toronto Star, Performance Magazine, American Theatre Magazine, Eye Weekly, How Theatre Educates, Orbit, Mystery Scene Magazine, The Canadian Jewish News, the London Free Press and The Hollywood Reporter. She has done theatre commentary for Studio Two on TV Ontario and CBC TV-Newsworld. She has been profiled in The National Post, The Globe and Mail, and on Bravo TV for the Arts and Minds Program.
She publishes an on-line newsletter The Slotkin Letter which chronicles her theatre going in Toronto, New York, London and elsewhere. The Slotkin Letter is used as a resource for actors, directors, Artistic Directors and ‘civilians’ who are keenly interested in theatre everywhere.
From 2000 to 2010 she was the Theatre Critic for Here and Now on CBC Radio One, 99.1. From 2011 to the present she is the theatre critic and theatre commentator for CIUT FRIDAY MORNING, 89.5 fm. She sees on average 275 productions a year.
$40 plus HST Regular Price
$20 plus HST for Theatre Ontario individual and organization* members
*Theatre Ontario Organization Members may send 1 delegate at the member price.
For more information, please contact the Community Outreach and Training Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416.408.4556 x10
Members sign-in to access member pricing.
Confirmation and receipt will be sent by email.
Refund & Cancellation Policy
- If we receive your cancellation up to 5 business days before your workshop, you will receive a full refund less 10% administrative charges.
- If we receive your cancellation 5-1 days before your workshop, you’ll receive a 50% refund.
- If we receive your cancellation on the day of your workshop or you do not show up for your workshop, no refund will be issued.
- If Theatre Ontario cancels a workshop you will be refunded in full.