The ability of directors and dramaturges to work together to help shape meaningful and entertaining theatre is a crucial part of any production process.
Join Matt McGeachy as he discusses the director-dramaturge collaboration when working on new plays. Learn strategies that can help turn what could be a strained, forced, or distant relationship to an intense and fruitful collaboration as with any member of the artistic of design team.
In this workshop, all participants will take as their starting point Governor-General’s Award-winning David Yee’s carried away on the crest of a wave (Playwrights Canada Press, 2014). Participants will use this text to help shape and model discussions about:
- The pre-production process and collaboration between the director and dramaturge
- The rehearsal process
- Giving and receiving meaningful notes
- Dealing with common issues that arise in this collaboration
This workshop is aimed primarily at directors, but all interested artists are welcome.
Participants are encouraged to contact Theatre Ontario to receive up to 40% off the play or they can order directly through Playwrights Canada Press.
Matt is very clear and shares of his experience generously…I will use the concepts and tools from the workshop whenever I start to work in a new play, whether as director or actor. A great introduction to the dramaturgy approach - thank you so much! - Workshop participant
Meet the Instructor…
Matt McGeachy is the Company Dramaturge at Factory Theatre, where he works heads up new work development and production dramaturgy. He has worked at the Guthrie Theatre, Workhaus Collective, the Kennedy Center, and Canadian Stage, among others.
$40 plus HST Regular Price
$20 plus HST for Theatre Ontario individual and organization* members
*Theatre Ontario Organization Members may send 1 delegate at the member price.
For more information, please contact the Education Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org or 416.408.4556 x10
Members sign-in to access member pricing.
Confirmation and receipt will be sent by email.
Refund & Cancellation Policy
- If we receive your cancellation more than 5 business days before your workshop, you will receive a full refund less 10% administrative charges.
- If we receive your cancellation 5-1 business days before your workshop, you’ll receive a 50% refund.
- If we receive your cancellation on the day of your workshop or you do not show up for your workshop, no refund will be issued.
- If Theatre Ontario cancels a workshop you will be refunded in full.