Launching Your Career
Answers to your FAQs about the business of acting!
This workshop is for actors beginning their professional careers. In this two-hour workshop, Rachel Kennedy and a special guest actor will answer the most frequently asked questions about the business of acting.
Find out about:
- The realities of showbiz—by the numbers
- Becoming an actor—Maintaining & improving your acting skills; Training vs. Coaching
- Auditions and Casting—Photos & résumés; Audition pieces; Agents & Casting Directors
- Affiliations and Resources—Theatre & Film: Equity, ACTRA & Non-Union; Directories, Publications, Online sources
- Managing your career—Planning, expenses & taxes
"It was a great workshop. Rachel's humour and enthusiasm and knowledge and experience was wonderful." - Participant
“The workshop and facilitators provided a ton of resources and brought a lot of personal experience to the table. There were some major takeaways that I started applying literally as soon as I walked out the door. I feel like I left the workshop much better equipped than I'd entered it.” …Workshop participant
Meet the Instructor...
Rachel Kennedy, Theatre Ontario Professional Theatre and Education Manager
Outside of Theatre Ontario, Rachel Kennedy is a theatre director, creator, stage manager and producer (aka. your typical Indie Theatre artist). Behind the desk at Theatre Ontario, she manages the company’s professional theatre (Ontario Summer Theatres, Career Counselling, Next Generation Showcase) and training programs (PTTP, YTTP, Summer Intensive, Workshops). Her passion for arts administration comes from a deep belief in mutually beneficial relationships and approaching the arts sector from a holistic standpoint – we are all connected, so let’s support each other in the common mission of improving accessibility and professional development for artists across Ontario!
Guest Instructor - Carly Chamberlain
Carly is a Toronto-based director, producer, and former actor. Recent directing credits have included Ten Creative Ways to Dispose of Your Cremains (Toronto Fringe - Neoteny Theatre), the critically acclaimed Much Ado About Nothing (Hart House Theatre, Subscriber’s Choice - Best Direction) and Plucked by Rachel Ganz (SummerWorks 2016, Now Magazine Outstanding Direction), and assistant direction on the Dora nominated Body Politic (Buddies in Bad Times). A graduate of The National Theatre School of Canada's Directing Program, highlights at NTS included directing Lucy Peacock in Samuel Beckett's Happy Days, and collaborating with Alisa Palmer on Love & Information, and Hamlet. Also a graduate of the University of Windsor's BFA Acting Program, Carly's acting career included playing many of Shakespeare's leading women including Olivia, Isabella, Adrianna, Portia, Helena, and more. Most recently Carly was Assistant Director on Romeo and Juliet (Canadian Stage), and was mentored in Artistic Direction with Franco Boni at the Theatre Centre.
$35 plus HST regular price
FREE! for Theatre Ontario individual and organization* members (with a $5.00 materials fee)
*Theatre Ontario Organization Members may send 1 delegate at the member price.
Members sign-in to access member pricing.
Confirmation and receipt will be sent by email.
Not appropriate for child actors. No latecomers please.
For more information, please contact the Education Coordinator, at email@example.com or 416.408.4556 x10
Refund & Cancellation Policy
- If we receive your cancellation more than 5 business days before your workshop, you will receive a full refund less 10% administrative charges.
- If we receive your cancellation 5-1 business days before your workshop, you’ll receive a 50% refund.
- If we receive your cancellation on the day of your workshop or you do not show up for your workshop, no refund will be issued.
- If Theatre Ontario cancels a workshop you will be refunded in full.